Tuesday, May 10, 2016

My New Name by Madison Hansotte

This semester, the senior Eagle staff members were asked to compose a personal memoir as a feature for the paper.  The purpose is to showcase writing and to provide a little self-reflection and insight into growth here at LCCTC.  
_____________________________________________________

“Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.” ~Anne Geddes


The truth of this quote holds true. I am proud to say that I am becoming the woman I am today because I have an amazing dad that has been guiding me along the way, even though our circumstances may have begun a little different.


Let me start from the beginning. My dad wanted to get my biological father to sign away his rights because circumstances weren’t the best. Everyone knew I was better off with my dad, but my biological father was stubborn -- in and out of my life growing up. I never really felt a connection with him. My dad went to every event I had. He has supported me and helps me grow.


Toward the end of my 7th grade year, my biological father finally agreed to sign the papers giving up his rights. At the end of my 8th grade year on June 1, 2012, I officially became a Hansotte. Becoming a Hansotte is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made because it has made me feel more connected with everyone in the family. It isn’t that I didn't feel that I was his “real” daughter before I was adopted, but I felt there was a lack of something. Now that my dad is my “real dad” it’s like the final piece to a puzzle has been lovingly put into place..


I never have had to question my dad’s love for me. He shows me in the ways he cares for me. He has and continues to put up with a lot of stuff from me, and everything we go through together we come out closer than before. My dad is that “someone special to be a dad.” He is my guide when I am lost, and my support when I need it. My dad has been my rock, as of recently I took my TEAS test for nursing school for a second time. I was discouraged with the whole thing because I didn’t do too well the first time, but my dad helped me study and talked some sense into me when I needed it -- which was and still is very often.


Any time I say my dad’s name, I say it with pride and joy because my dad didn’t have to take responsibility for me -- but he did.  He picked me, and for that -- I am thankful.

To read more articles from The LCCTC Eagle, click here:  http://thelcctceagle.blogspot.com/