Sunday, May 1, 2016

State Championship Opening and Closing Team: "We're Going to Nationals!"


What does it take to succeed? It begins with two elements: the desire to do your own personal best and to work hard to make sure this goal is met.

It was 1974 when the Opening and Closing team won the state title for Lawrence County. Forty-two years later, led by three-year veteran and president Halle St. Clair, the SkillsUSA O & C Team proudly brought the gold back home. "Seeing our school's name in first place was the best feeling ever. I was beyond ecstatic. I've been working so hard for the past three years and to finally earn gold WHEN I'M PRESIDENT was everything I wished for and more!"


Dedication is the third element to success. Starting in October, once a week, every week, this team of seven pledged to stay after school to practice. For the first year since the Opening and Closing team began winning the district competitions four years ago, all seven members who started practice remained; this is no small feat.

Practices aren't easy, and being able to try and fail and try again is vital to perfecting performance for each individual and for the team combined. Each member must be able to give and accept constructive criticism. Kaitlyn Wright, a two-year member, states that being a part of the team has "helped me understand how to be a better friend.  If my friends need to vent, I can listen to all sides without becoming a part of their disagreements." 


They also learned the value of social media etiquette. Through Facebook group message titled, "Buns, Pearls, and a Tie," the team was able to stay connected; however, there were moments where they found the value of refocusing frustrations in avenues outside of social media. "Just because there is a problem to address, it may not be best to put it in print for all to see," warns Ms. McVicker, O & C Advisor, "Face-to-face dialogue -- even when the truth hurt -- worked much better for this team, and this type of conflict resolution is one of the most important lessons to take into adulthood. Keeping in mind the qualities of 'THINK' often helped them get through: Is it True? Helpful? Inspiring? Necessary? or Kind?"


Kylie Smith, also a member for the past two years, earned a silver medal last year, but she wanted more.  Wanting to contribute to the team in a more significant way, she stepped outside of her comfort zone and changed her presiding office to historian, a role that has allowed her to select a quote of the day.
"I feel my confidence growing each and every practice. I understand that it's important to try and use my own words and speak like I own them. That's what I love about being historian and speaking on a quote."  

Brought to the team two weeks before state competition last year, Kayla Baker threw herself into her role by memorizing her speech and perfecting her movements in lightning speed. "Even before I really know what it was," Kayla recalls, "I always wanted to be on the team, so even when I was asked to come on so late in the game, it was a blessing."  Though her time on the team was brief last year, she made a significant impact, leading by example challenging the others members to step up their game and refocus as they guided her to be her very best.  That was the same year the team earned a second gold medal! She continues, "Being in SkillsUSA has made all the difference; I am now more confident and comfortable in front of crowds."  

Jenna Locke, the "baby" of the team, has served as Vice President and was the only sophomore member last year. Now, as a junior, being a part of this team has made a great impact on her outlook in school.
"The team has really changed me in so many wonderful ways," she acknowledges. "At the beginning of my sophomore year I didn't know how to approach a stranger or even find the courage to speak up in class. It has really helped me come out of my shell and have a better outlook on life. I realize what it's like to have something so amazing to look forward to when I go to school every day." Jenna often doodles the phrase "Skills is LOVE; skills is LIFE" on her notebooks.

Rookies Skylar Harris and Jacob Troutman worked hard to become members this year. 
"Being on the team means being a part of another family," Skylar comments. "It has given me the confidence to speak in front of people without feeling discouraged."  It is all about stepping outside of your comfort zone, and both Skylar and Jacob have risen to the challenge. "What I love most about being on the Opening and Closing team," reflects Jake, "is being surrounded by amazing people that I could always rely on to pull through."