Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Briley's World by Makaila Holsinger

This semester, the senior Eagle staff members were asked to compose a personal memoir as a feature for the paper.  The purpose is to showcase writing and to provide a little self-reflection and insight into growth here at LCCTC.  
_____________________________________________________


This personal memoir is dedicated to Briley, the loving brother of Makaila Holsinger and author of the following memoir.  It is being told from his point of view.  

Waking up the day of October 20th, 2005 (my very first birthday), I sensed that I might never take another breath again.

I was in pain; I just wanted it to end. All the medicine, IVs, and gross hospital food was extremely tiring. My eyes would roll back in my head so you could only see the whites of my eyes. My lips turned a dark blue because they were being deprived of oxygen. I had a cancerous tumor on the right side of my spine.

My family never left my side; Grandma, Aunt Kara, Paguy, and Sister slept in the waiting room. Sister was only six years old, and she really didn't understand the gravity of my condition. My mom, who never let go of me, never stopped crying. She cuddled me all day and all night.
        
My name is Briley Mason Bosley, and I have Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome caused by neuroblastoma (OMS).  On my first birthday, I had my tumor removed. Dr. Women gave me the best gift anyone ever could -- my life.

Early in the morning, they came and picked me up for surgery. My family followed me in the elevator, and, of course, they were all crying. There was a chance I would never wake up, never see my family again, or even ever sleep in my own bed.  I guess after what seemed like forever for everyone else; when I finally came to after surgery, I remember seeing my mom's face. She was crying tears of joy. Dr. Women had an enormous smile.

My surgical team had warned my family that I could turn out to be a vegetable, meaning that I would never walk, talk, or even breath on my own. WRONG!!  Yes, I may have different qualities than other people, but I can do all three of those actions on my own! I know that might seem like those should be simple tasks, but they’re not.

Having up to six needles put in my body every day is exhausting. The pain is horrendous; trying to roll over is one of the hardest tasks in my life because I have an IV, bandages, blankets, and pillows.
  
Growing up with OMS was extremely difficult both physically, mentally, and emotionally. I was put on steroids to help make the cancer go away, so yes, I am a little chubby, but just think --  it gives me extra warmth in the winter!

I think differently than most people, too. Let’s just say I think outside, over, and under the box! I have had multiple mental meltdowns each day. I kick, punch, scream, bite, and sometimes throw things. I do not mean to do this on purpose, but I can not help it. My family knows how to calm me down and help me in those situations.
     
I love to play video games, go fishing, and build things. I am extremely smart!

In October of 2013, my family and I went to Hawaii, courtesy of Make-A-Wish foundation. I was asked “If you had one wish that we could make come true; what would it be?” At first I wanted to walk the wall of China, but my silly mother just thought that was ridiculous. So, my next wish was to swim with the sharks in Hawaii. My wish was granted! Yes my wish of laying on the beach with my cheeks in the sand and spending time with my family came true. We spent a whimsical week there; doing marvelous activities, from shopping to going to the bottom of the ocean! I saw turtles, sharks, starfish, and anything else that lives in the ocean! We descended 100 feet under the water in a submarine.
      
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, we all have terrible things that happen in our lives. Some may be worse than others, but we can and will overcome them.

Every year in March, St. Baldrick's has an event where the crew shave hair to raise money towards research for childhood cancer! Did you know they have shaved around 49,000 women's hair? For six years, I have shaved my head and on March 19th of 2016.  I plan on shaving my head again for spring!

My name is Briley Mason Bosley, and I am 10 years cancer-free.

To read more articles from The LCCTC Eagle, click here:  http://thelcctceagle.blogspot.com/