Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Call Me a Big Sissy! ~ by Kylie Smith

This semester, the senior Eagle staff members were asked to compose a personal memoir as a feature for the paper.  The purpose is to showcase writing and to provide a little self-reflection and insight into growth here at LCCTC.  
_____________________________________________________________

After reading the title, you might think I’m a wimp, but in fact you’re wrong.


I am the proud sister of two very strong and talented little boys. Well, one “big” boy and one little boy! My brother Darrin is 16 years old and can show you what it looks like to put a puck in the net! He put on his first pair of skates at 12, and he keeps gliding every day toward his dream -- to become a  professional NHL hockey player. It amazes me everyday how much he’s growing into a young man. I couldn't be prouder to call him, “Brother,” and I am so thankful that I will be given free tickets to an NHL game one day to watch him!


On February 1st, 2010. I met a special little boy.  Isaac “Izzy” Loyal Baker was born 8 pounds 15 ounces at 12:30 PM.  When I looked at his birth certificate, I was shocked to have realized that, even with different fathers, he weighed the exact same as when I was born, AND he was born around the same time of day -- just 12 years apart.  It's crazy how much we are so much alike! Those bright blue eyes light up my world and his laugh melts my heart every time it rings in my ears.


What I love most about both of them is their sense of never giving up, no matter how tough it gets. With Darrin, he shows strength, both on and off the ice. With little Izzy, his reading in kindergarten wasn't so hot at first, but with the help of speech therapy in school and my mom and me, after the first three months of school, his teacher gave him a certificate for passing out of the speech therapy program!


Growing up, I felt alone.  I was the only one running around the house wearing pink, but once Darrin was born, and Izzy sometime after, because of these two precious little boys, I'll never feel alone again.

To read more articles from The LCCTC Eagle, click here:  http://thelcctceagle.blogspot.com/