Thursday, December 17, 2015

New Year ... New ME! ~ Maxine Alexander

As you sip from a glass of sparkling cider and watch the huge silver ball in Time Square fall, you think to yourself, “What changes do I want to make in my new year?”  Starting the new year off with goals for yourself can be a challenge! Thankfully, our schools nurse, Mrs. Cwynar, is here to give us some tips on how to start our new lifestyle.


When I sat down to interview Mrs. Cwynar, here’s what she had to say:


What are some of the common resolutions that you hear from people?


Some of the common resolutions I hear are as follows:
  • To be more kind to others
  • To get a higher education  
  • To eat more healthy


What are some of your personal New Year’s resolutions for 2016?


My resolutions would be to clean my diet up since I'm in my off season for training, and since I already go to the gym six days a week. I’m going to focus on my personal records for lifting weights and running.


Are the resolutions you have for yourself for 2016 different from former years?


No, they really haven’t changed; I’m just trying to improve more on them. I was always active in my childhood with gymnastics, so it was never an intention for me being more active.  Now it's a necessity for me because after my second child, my body changed.  That became a motivation for me.


Do you have any fitness recommendations and diets tips for people that want to change this upcoming year?


Yes, my first tip would be


  • Never follow any trend diet. For example, if your goal is to have a healthy lifestyle, you can’t do a liquid diet for a month, stop, and then go back to your former diet.  That would cause dramatic effect in your weight -- change that is unhealthy.

And my second tip


  • I would recommend for you to make a lot more healthy choices in your food such as cutting down the amount you eat, trying to eat more vegetables, and trying to lower your sugars.  Don’t cancel these sugars out of your diet because it would most likely cause you to binge; that’s not good for you. As for fitness, start small, and you will gain strength.


How do you maintain your goals all year around?


Well, I exercise to the point where if I miss a day, I will be grumpy, so it's almost like an addiction for me -- but a good addiction.


What advice do you have for people that set goals for themselves but don’t maintain them?

That actually happens a lot. You should keep a daily journal, find a partner to workout with, and set dates in your calendar for the days you have to work out so you won’t forget. I believe at the end of the day it comes down to the passion and the drive they have for themselves. You have to want to be healthier!