Thursday, December 17, 2015

College Crash @ YSU ~ Matt Tataseo

On November 20th, ten Machine Tool Tech students traveled to Youngstown State University to participate in their College Crash event. The intent was to encourage area students to consider YSU as a post-graduation option. Two of our MTT seniors, Bo Timmerman and Jake Stewart, are very interested in pursuing a career in engineering at YSU in the fall of 2016.

Johnny Walko, Isaac Brookes, Mitchell Marshall, Jake Stewart, Dalton Dilling, Damion Gajewski, Zane Fernandez, Bo Timmerman, Paul Cunningham, and Dawson Fair




How do your academic classes at LCCTC benefit someone interested in an engineering degree? "A person interested in an engineering degree should enjoy learning about science and chemistry -- particularly when using the wind & water tunnels. They should have an aptitude for math when it comes to designing with blueprints." -Bo Timmerman, Machine senior

What is exciting about the field of engineering?
"It's all pretty cool. To duplicate an object, all you need to do is scan the original and the computer reads the dimensions which turns into a CAD program; it's your job to perfect the numbers within the formulas to create a project. If you are going to create something that doesn't yet exist, it's a whole different game; I can imagine helping a person who needs a prosthetic limb with the same technology." -Bo Timmerman

Are you thinking about going to YSU? "I am! I was hooked as soon as I walked in. The instructor was fun and inviting, and the students were nice as well as polite. I applied and hopefully I'll be accepted." - Jake Stewart, Machine senior

What is your next step to get to YSU? 

“Of course, I’ll need to study for my NIMS test, but I’ll also need to take my SAT or ACT tests.  Then, I’ll contact the admissions office at YSU and work with the admissions officers to get ready to apply.  I’ll also try for scholarships; they can help me with ones from YSU, but I can also go on FastWeb.com and see what else I can get.  What isn’t covered by scholarships and grants (PHEAA and FAFSA), I’ll need to get a loan.  I plan to attend the financial aid meeting after Christmas break.” – Jake Stewart