Friday, September 18, 2015

Meet the Teacher: "Mr. Pavia Saves the Day" by Kylie Smith

"Impossible is nothing." This quote shows the true tenacity of Mr. Pavia and his quest to help those who need it in times of great trouble.

About a year ago, I met Mr. Pavia when I switched shops into Health Assistance. Before turning this page in my life, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my future career. I knew I wanted to do something to help people, and every day in shop, Mr. Pavia encourages me to do my best in every aspect of nursing and even life. As a new member of the Journalism Team at LCCTC, I am pleased to have had the opportunity to interview because now I can know a little bit more about him!

Before becoming a staff member at LCCTC, Mr. Pavia was an Emergency Medical Technician for five years and then continued on as a Registered Nurse at the Jameson Critical Care Unit for an additional year. In addition to teaching future nurses, he is also a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Room at Sharon Regional Hospital.

Before attending Youngstown State University for Pre-Nursing and Jameson School of Nursing, Mr. Pavia graduated from New Castle High School.
When he's not playing with his two "children", 
Jack, a Golden-doodle, and Lily, a Griffon, you'll find him taping wrists and taking care of the athletes at New Castle High School. He also enjoys playing racquetball at the New Castle Y.

When I asked him what he loves the most about working here at LCCTC, he said, "being around people who are goal-oriented in their careers."
His favorite food is cavatelli with meatballs and white sauce, his favorite music is slow jams and R&B, and his favorite TV shows are King of Queens and Grey's Anatomy.

While asking Mr. Pavia to finish the phrase, "Nobody would believe me if I told them that I", he told me: "I am a Type 1 Juvenile Diabetic."

I admire Mr. Pavia because, not only is he an incredible teacher, he's also an incredible human being. He inspires me to be my very best self, and I know I can because I have been taught that "impossible IS nothing."
~~~

"The only thing you should look back on is to see how far you've come!"  

Kylie Smith, a senior Health Assistant student, plans to continue her education at Youngstown State University for Nursing. Currently, she works as a sandwich artist at Subway. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with her dogs and watching her little brother play hockey.