Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"I'm on My Way": A Journey to College ~ by Savannah Harris


In the fall of 2015, 20.2 million students are expected to attend a college of their choice. Next fall, I plan to be one of those students.

I, Savannah Harris, future freshman at Slippery Rock University, took it upon myself to ask our guidance counselor, Mrs. Lynch, for a couple tips to help me get started. Here is some advice she gave me:
Kaitlyn M., Michael L., and Presley B.

  • First and foremost, I will need to TAKE MY SATs. Then, according to Mrs. Lynch, take them again, and once more, take them again. Why? Because colleges take the highest math and reading test scores, I'll want to do my best, and that may mean I need to try multiple times. I'll need to check with the college of my choice because many universities do require SAT or ACT scores, but some post-secondary schools don't.
  • Next, I'll need to research my options. I want to make sure the college I wish to attend has my future career; for example, I would like to become a Marine Biologist, a field offered at SRU. I'm also considering this school because my sister attended "The Rock," and loved it. She told me that I'll enjoy it because "college is about new experiences and about meeting new people."
  • I also need to begin working on my applications as soon as possible. I found SRU's online, but other colleges also offer applications in paper form. For some, if I attend an open house or set up a college visit, they'll offer a fee waiver; not having to spend that $50 is worth it to me, AND I'll be able to see what the campus is like.
  • This also means I need to begin writing my essays; SRU doesn't require an entrance essay, but I CAN write essays for scholarships! Before I submit them, I plan to have them reviewed by any fantastic English teacher here at LCCTC. Where do I find scholarships? I can inquire about them at the Admissions Office at the college, but I can also check with Mrs. Lynch and on www.FastWeb.com.
  • Allison C., Angel W., Makaila H.,
    Kaitlyn W., and Kayla B.
  • Last but not least, I plan to check to see if the college of my choice has early admissions to secure my spot in their freshman class. I will also need to keep up my grades. Colleges will check my grades starting in 9th grade.
Overall, I suggest that if you have any questions about any of these tips, or tips I may not have yet stated, take my advice and see our guidance counselor for answers.
Oh yeah -- I'm thinking of making a college visit sometime soon -- just to see what it's like. Some of my friends have been doing just that, and it not only looks fun, it will also help me get the feel of the campus. After all, it will be my "home away from home" for the next few years!

As I consider the beginning of my journey to college, I am reminded of this quote: "Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Yes."


~~~

Savannah currently studies Cosmetology but plans to continue her education at Slippery Rock University to study Marine Biology. She loves to wear and experiment with makeup because she feels that it is important to be your best self in mind, spirit, and body! In her spare time, she loves to relax and listen to music, watch beauty videos on YouTube, and hangout with her family!