Thursday, April 7, 2016

Tips for Getting a Job ~ Makaila Holsinger

It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all." ~ J.K. Rowling

Getting a job means putting yourself out there -- going beyond my comfort zone -- so that you can improve your life and get what you need to succeed.  What can you do prepare for a job search?  Consider the following:

  1. Start with self- assessment.  What are my strengths?  What are my abilities?
  2. Conduct critical research.  What details should I know about the business?  What do I need to know so I can demonstrate my sincere interest in working for this specific company?
  3. Write, edit, and revise your resume.  Is it perfect?  Does it follow all the rules of good resume-writing?
  4. Get organized.  Do I need to mark my calendar for meetings?  Do I need to send anything in/bring anything with me to the interview? 
  5. Consider conducting informational interviews.  Are there friends or family members who will conduct mock interviews with me?
  6. Attempt to set several goals related to the job.  In addition to money, what do I want to get out of having this particular job?  What are my short term and long term goals?
  7. Showcase your skills.  What am I good at?  How can I prove I know what I'm talking about?
  8. Excel in the job interview.  Are there YouTube videos that can pass along advice for me?  How can I make sure I show my very best self?
  9. Write a thank you note to the person who interviewed you.  If I were the interviewer, wouldn't I appreciate a thank you note?
  10. Follow up with the hiring manager.  What more am I asked to do to deliver any additional information?  



When walking into a job interview, here are a few tips:

  • Have self confidence
  • Smile
  • Look nice
  • Have several copies of a resume
  • Dress for the job
  • Take your time during the interview
  • Research the job
  • Arrive early to the interview.  (On time is late; 15 minutes prior is on time.)
  • Have respect
Most of all:  Work hard now to learn all you can so your future is bright!