Saturday, October 1, 2016

Breaking Glass Ceilings ~ Gemma Gatto

Being in a male-dominated shop is not easy; sometimes, females are often underestimated as they are surrounded by their male counterparts. However, over the years, these young women of LCCTC have developed a thick enough skin to cope with the diversity and are ready to enter the world of work. Likewise, being a male in a shop typically studied by females has its own challenges. Though sometimes teased for their career choice, these young men have much to offer, and their insight brings a lot of unexpected diversity to the workplace.

What are the benefits of persuing a career in a non-traditional field? If you are like Madelyn Foster, Carpentry junior, you might answer that question with this: "I used to work like this with my dad!"

Stormy Fiello, Electrical occupations sophomore agrees. "I saw my dad wire houses before, and ever since then I was always interested in it. I'm good at math and like to draw. My mom and dad said I should use what I am good at for me future and always pushed harder in those areas. The suggested that if I was interested in the electrical field.  As my EO Mr. Montini always says, 'Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life'!."  

Stormy also figures that it may also be an advantage to getting a job as an electrician.  "Because I'm a female, and, even though it may not seem fair, it may help me land a good job faster than the males in this field."  In a NPR.org article, "Could It Be? Researchers Find A Hiring Bias That Favors Women," experts agree; women are now being more readily considered for STEM jobs on a scale of 2:1.

What is required from students who select a career outside of the norm? "Hard work is required of all students. It doesn't matter if you are a girl or a guy," notes Lexis Loveless, Auto Tech Junior. "We can just do as much as the next guy.".

For others, they need to be strong enough to handle the job; Madelyn is not afraid of a little hard work. She considers the challenges of her chosen field: "Though I feel that I'm learning a lot and can be as good as the next guy, I must admit that carrying shingles up a ladder."

What is it like working in your chosen shop? Devin Dilling puts a spark in her work as she studies Welding adds that "it doesn't feel any different than working with a bunch of chicks." Devin shows them all how girls can be just as hard-working, dedicated to the task, and skilled in a trade.

Stormy laughs, "The boys throw stink bugs at me," but that's okay because we're sure she throws them right back!

"Besides," adds Kenna Curtis, Welding junior, with a grin, "Girls rule the world!"

"It's a lot of fun," claims Kalley McClure, Collision Repair senior, with a smile. "It's not as bad as some might think. I think I have a lot to offer in this field, and I think the guys can learn a lot from me about precision and hard work."

Our students have some advice for anyone considering a career in a non-traditional field:

  • "Follow your dreams, and do what you love best!" ~ Madelyn Foster 
  • "If you like it go for it don't be afraid to do things that you know you can do because others don't like it. It's your life live it how you want too." ~ Ashley Long, senior CT 
  • "Keep your head up if it gets tough and focus on what you want to do because it's your career don't let any one else tell you different." ~ Rayna Gasser 
  • "Be strong and be willing to stand up for yourself. Your skill level and work ethic should speak for yourself. It's not easy, so grow a thick skin." ~ Kenna Curtis 
  • "Work hard and to never be afraid to get your hands dirty. It doesn't matter if you are girl; you can work hard, too -- just as well as the guys." ~ Stormy Fiello 
  • "Because I enjoy helping people who struggle to help themselves, my advice is to do what makes you happy." ~ Landen Nice, Junior HA 
  • "Guys can be just as skilled as girls in this field; I am choosing to do what makes me happy -- not what others think I should do." ~ Ja'Briel Blackshear, senior Cos 
McKenna welding junior 
Rayna Gasser and Kalley McClure seniors in collision repair 

Story Fiello, EO Sophomore

Kayla sophomore in Auto Tech