Tuesday, May 9, 2017

What Was States Like for Me? ~ by Felicity Weir

What was the SkillsUSA State Competition like for me? Well, as I was sitting at the closing ceremony, squeezing a fellow teammate’s hand as tightly as a I could, I learned what it felt like to be without air. Everything seemed to be in slow motion, every vision blurred, every sound distorted.



When they started to announce our section, my heart rate made the situation real.

“Opening and Closing first place (followed by an excruciatingly long pause) ... Lawrence County CTC !” We jumped out of our seats, time resumed, and all I could see was gold. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled so big in my entire life.


I was, and still am, so proud of our team. However, I am just as proud of our competitors. Although we are going to Nationals, our team knows just how close our scores might’ve been. The other teams worked just as hard as we did.

Yet, there was more to States than just a medal. Hershey brought us together. I have never felt so close to my peers before. We learned what each other looked like in the morning, how we liked our coffees, and had such an amazing time together.

My absolute favorite part about this trip was when we were all sitting in the hall, laughing, talking, eating pizza, playing card games, etc. My second favorite part was getting a chance to befriend another Opening and Closing team. Right after competing, a few of our members got a chance to sit down and have coffee with another team. We got to know each other as individuals who share the same passion and ambitions.

So, what did this trip mean to me? That question can be answered with one single word - unity.


Thankfully, this story isn’t over, and our next chapter, preparing for National Competition, is just beginning.