Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Letter to You ~ by Gemma Gatto

I remember starting high school. Even though I no longer recognize the person I used to be. So here’s a letter to you, to the person who helped make me who I am today.


I see you, and I know what you’re thinking. At this moment in time, you're 14, sitting in class zoning out because you're over all of it. Tonight you have cheer leading practice; your squad is all sitting at lunch together, but there you are -- sitting with two of your friends wondering, "What am I doing differently?" You spend all your time trying to fit in, trying to be like these girls you force yourself to talk to.


At the games, we all look alike, we move alike, we sound alike, but we are not alike. There’s something wrong, you're failing your classes. You’re distracted all the time, and you're all-around-angry with everyone, and it’s not their fault. You sit in class and try not to talk. All of your teachers know you as your older sister’s "Mini-me,” yet you're nothing like your sister. The thought of being compared to her only upsets you more and more.
As the year goes on, school gets harder and harder, and I know you're only falling more and more behind. Then one day, you reached your final breaking point: ninth grade year second semester, fourth period Spanish class; this was the defining moment. Clearly, it was time to make a change. With tears in your eyes and a lump in your throat, you go to the second floor bathroom in the last stall and sit on the window ledge -- finally texting Mom with the words, "I can't do this anymore. I need to leave."

Your mind was made up; it was time. I know that at fourteen no one thought you knew what was best for you, but you knew what was best for you. Finally, after much discussion, Mom and Dad gave in and let you transfer schools for your sophomore year.



It’s now 826 days later, and a lot has happened over the past three years. Not to give anything away but...... you’re a completely different person. Your grades go to A's, and your smile has never faded. You made so many friends' you know the entire school and choose to find something good in every person. You have your two forever-friends who are the biggest blessings in your life. You’re going to fall in love, and it's gonna’ feel like your heart is on fire.

Listen, I know right now that life can be miserable, but you're just going to have to trust me with these things. Keep doing you girl, don’t be afraid to be you. Do what you want; love who you want. Please just be yourself because you’re going to love who you turn out to be. Finish out Freshman year strong. Say your goodbyes and get ready because you’re about to become who you were always meant to be. I know you might not believe this right now, but I love you.
                                                                              ~  Your Future Self