Friday, September 23, 2016

RYLA: Daily Reflections

UPDATE:  Here is some exciting news:  Because of his involvement in RYLA, if Matt would like to attend Westminster College, he can study under a RYLA Scholarship established by the college worth $18,500 per year or $74,000!  

Congratulations, Matt!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1:  Sunday, June 12 ~  My first day at RYLA was pretty interesting. I met new people and got to know of their interests.  I learned to be a little more out going and had some fun stepping outside of my quiet comfort zone. For me, it went really well. I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of my week will look like.

Day 2:  Monday, June 13 ~ On my second night at RYLA, I learned two valuable lessons. For example, I found out that what other people think of me may not be what I think of myself. I also learned to be true to myself:  to do what I believe in -- even when I am by myself. The most enjoyable part of today was the scavenger hunt at the end. I continued to meet new people and opened up a lot more from yesterday.

Day 3:  Tuesday, June 14 ~ Although the beginning of the day seemed slow, I discovered so many organizations I'd like to help with and participate in. I still had fun.  Also, we had an interesting talk in our discussion group to help us find out who we really are. At the end of the day we had a very fun dance. Everyone was dancing, singing, and enjoying themselves. I believe today was the best day so far

Day 4: Wednesday, June 15 ~ On the fourth day, I learned 10 new acts of kindness I could apply on daily basis. I also learned to appreciate what I have and to live a life that is true to me to the fullest because I never know when the end will come.  And with every end, there is a beginning, and that beginning can be wonderful.  We also considered a word or phrase that puts us down; we wrote it on a rock, and we dropped it into a bucket as a sign of letting go that unwanted weight; then we sang "Lean on Me."  We ended the day with a RYLAlympics and some family games -- a lot of fun.

Day 5:  Thursday, June 16 ~ On Thursday, everyone did the usual morning Skype video, and I learned that "it's not always about the nail." What does this mean?  If a person would talk to you about a personal problem, sometimes not saying anything at all would make them feel better.  Sometimes, all that person needs is someone to listen.  As a listener, we don't need to state the obvious; we must consider that it may not be what the person who is hurting wants or needs. Next, I had this really cool group discussion; everyday so far we've all shared some amazing stories. At the end the night off, we had a karaoke night. Once again, I had so much fun.

Final Day:  Friday, June 17 ~ On the very last day we had more fun that we've had all week. Its not that we didn't have fun all week; it's that this was the day that we'd leave each other behind and move on pursue what we loved -- and I wanted to remember every moment of it all. 

We all had to write on a poster board how we felt when we got there and how we felt afterwards. My first impression was "nervous," but my last emotion was "sad." I was nervous at first to step out of my comfort zone and meet new people because I didn't know what to expect, but on that last day I was sad. I was sad to leave everything and everyone. 

RYLA make me feel like a whole new person -- a better person. Someone from RYLA once quoted, "I came to RYLA to become a better leader; instead, RYLA brought the leader out of me." That's what RYLA is all about. 

RYLA was a family to me. RYLA improved me amazing ways. 

My only regret:  I wish I had RYLA for just a few more days.

To the New Castle Rotary #89:  Thank you -- from the bottom of my heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click HERE to read more about the RYLA event and about our representative, Matt Hawkins.


Click HERE to learn about Rotary International and their support of both RYLA and ROVA students.

To read more from The LCCTC Eagle blog, click HERE.