Friday, June 3, 2016

Congratulations to the Graduating Class of 2016


LCCTC administration, teachers, and support staff would like to congratulate LCCTC's Class of 2016.  We WISH you the very best!  

~~~~~

Mr. Rich's Graduation Address: 

The 2015-2016 school year has been one of extreme highs and lows.At the Lawrence County Career and Technical Center we have seen unprecedented growth. Our school has swelled to over 440 students for the first time in more than a decade. In the era of the Keystone exam, no class has ever done academically better. Our NOCTI scores should be over 90% proficient for the 2nd consecutive year. We had a Skills USA state champion team for the first time in a generation.We were a school where over 67% of the students NEVER received a behavioral referral. They were never late to school or class, never caused a classroom disruption. They did what they were supposed to do. 



  • We were a school where 80% of the students received 3 referrals or less. Maybe they were late to class or school too many times. 
  • We were a school that sent 80+ student to a hockey game as a behavioral incentive. 
  • We were a school that sent 80+ students ice skating as a behavioral incentive. 
  • We were a school that sent 80+ students to a baseball game as a behavioral incentive. 
  • We had over 200 students who were office discipline referral free participate in a picnic lunch. 
  • We gave away 34 gift cards and an I-pad.


This was also a year of behavioral lows. It was 180 days of "take your hat off." Three seniors had 20 or more office discipline referrals. Whether you were chronically disobedient or occasionally disruptive, for the most part it was choice. You were deliberately defiant. The school was often mired in student conflict related to inappropriate posts on social media. Understanding one another was not a priority. We became less tolerant of those who didn't look like us or act like us. We took a step backward when it came to respect for the decency of humanity. Self was far more important than selfless.

With such a dichotomy of characteristics that define the legacy of this class, I stand before you nervous. These graduates are at a crossroads in their lives. Some are the first to graduate high school in their family. Some are the first to advance to any form of secondary education. Many have established full-time employment or are going to the military. But some sit here and their long term plans are what they intend to do this weekend.



In order to calm my nerves and perhaps provide some last minute guidance I refer to the words of Bill Keane. "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” Make the most of your TODAY!!! You are entitled to nothing. There is no extra talent needed to work hard and smart. Dot the I's and cross the T's of life.


You chose as your class motto: Chase your dreams but always know the road that will lead you home again.” These words my Tim McGraw encourage us to dream and we should. But we need a plan. A dream without a plan will never be an accomplishment.Your class song was My Wish from Rascal Flats. My wish for you is to discover your potential. Be a contributor to society. Everywhere you go leave it better than you found it. Dare to be the best child, friend, worker you can be. Dare to expect more from yourself and less from others.

In summation, I leave you with 3 simple rules that will guide you in life:

Go where you are supposed to go!
Be there on time!
And when your there, use your God-given abilities to the very best you can.

Congratulations class of 2016!

To read more from Mr Rich, check out his blog! Click here: http://mrlrich.blogspot.com/



~~~~~

Kaitlyn Wright's Address:

After starting at the lines on my paper, erasing word after word, and going through piece after piece of paper, I decided to off with a thank you, to Mr. Rich. I remember our sophomore year there being talk about LCCTC shutting down due to financial troubles. If it wasn't for his hard work and dedication to the school, we might not have been able to be here tonight and we would not be graduating HIGH SCHOOL with certifications and knowledge that we have to be able to walk out these doors tonight and walk into a place of employment tomorrow and get a job other high school graduates would not be able to get right away. Me. Rich truly saved our school and made us realize our true potential. And I can't forget to mention, he helped us RISE! 

Now, 3 short years later, here we are, on this stage graduating. Where did the time go? I, as everyone else couldn't wait to be a senior and "rule the school". But now, our reign is over. As we look forward to our future, I can't help but look back. Coming to Lawrence county career and technical center was the best choice i have ever made. It has made me who I am today and I wouldn't change anything about these last 3 years. 

After tonight some of us will go into college, some of us will go straight into the work force, and many of us made the brave choice to go into the military, but each of us will travel our own path and do amazing things. Thank you to the teachers, staff, parents, and even my peers for all that you have taught. I wish the best of luck to each and everyone of you with whatever you do. 

Congratulations to the class of 2016. WE DID IT!

~~~~~

Nikki Miller's Address:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice." - Steve Jobs 

The class of 2016 is capable of doing so many great things, and I am proud to say that I am a part of that. Some of you may get right to work, some might take a year or so to think about what you want to do. I thought leaving 6th grade to go to high school was life-changing, then I thought that coming to LCCTC was life-changing, but leaving high school is, most definitely, a brutal transition. 

We have no idea what the world has in store for us. I DO know how I'll deal with those life events, though: I’ll using the skills and knowledge I've learned from my teachers, my parents, and all of you. It all comes down to help, and I have plenty of people to thank for that. I guess the biggest thing I've learned from high school is to lean on others when needed. 

I am so thankful to a part of LCCTC's 2016 graduating class. We have learned our skills and our academics, but we have learned life lessons, as well. I wish the best of luck to all the graduates with anything you do in the future. I hope we can all stay in touch as much as possible.

~~~~~

Halle St. Clair's Address:

How lucky am I to have something so hard to say goodbye to? 


When I walked through the doors of LCCTC my tenth grade year, I never expected my life to change the way it did. Coming to our school, I didn’t have many friends; I wasn’t very involved or social. Today, I can stand tall, and proudly say I’ve built a friendship with not only almost all of my graduating class, but with each of my teachers too. 

When I attended my home school, I remember watching the seniors getting prepared for graduation and they were all so upset. I really didn’t quite understand because I was so ready to graduate and leave that school. 

That’s when Votech changed everything for me. I now understand why all of those students were so upset to leave high school. This is my home. Votech made me into the person I am today. These people have contributed to who I am. They are with me wherever I go. 

No, in any way shape or form, do I want to part ways with any of you—but yes, I DO want the absolute best for all of you. This is the part where you find out who you are. 

 May all of you follow your dreams, you will realize that dreams change. If they didn’t the world would be filled with princesses, rock stars, and super heroes. Whatever your dream may be right now, if you do not achieve it, that does not mean you have failed. Dreams change and that is okay. I believe in all of you. I believe each and every single one of you will be successful. 

 As much as I love it here with all of you, there’s a truth that we have to face: everything eventually ends. As much as I may have anticipated this day, I hate endings: the last day of summer, the last page a good book, or parting ways with a good friend (Briana Burgin). Endings are inevitable. Leaves fall, you close the book, and you say goodbye. Today is one of those days for all of us. 

We say goodbye to everything that was familiar, everything that was comfortable. We are leaving and it hurts, but that doesn’t mean we leave this behind. There are some people who will always be a part of you. And all of you are that person to me. 

I’d like to thank every single one of you: My dad, my mom, my teachers including the ones I have never had, my peers, Mr. Rich, the custodial staff, the cafeteria staff, and all of the school board. All of you have helped me in some way, so thank you. I never thought this day would come, but as McDreamy of Grey’s Anatomy has said, “you never think the last time is the last time. You think there will be more. You think you have forever, but you don’t.” And that’s what makes life precious. It’s precious because it ends.

_____________________________






























Photo Credit:  Jodi Barton




















To read more from The LCCTC Eagle, click here:  http://thelcctceagle.blogspot.com/