Monday, March 26, 2018

Rise Presentations: March 8, 2018 Compiled by Kaitlyn Heeter & Shelby Leasure

We would like to thank the following post-secondary schools and career institutions who presented during our RISE program on March 8th:

  • Carpenter's Apprenticeship Training
  • Art Institute of Pittsburgh
  • New Castle School of Trades
  • United States Navy
  • Lawrence County EMS
  • Pittsburgh Technical College
  • UPMC Jameson Nursing
  • Slippery Rock University
  • Butler County Community College
  • Laurel Technical Institute

Name: Scott Burgin
Grade 10
Shop: RT
Home School: New Castle

The speakers coming to LCCTC showed me that I have many options upon graduation. I learned that college is worth attending, and that having a post secondary education is important. Because I have a few years until I graduate, I have time to consider my future path.







Name: Cassie Brown
Grade: 11
Shop: Cosmetology
Home School:  Union

I enjoyed the experience of learning about schools because it gave me more of an outlook on my career, and it also gave me more information on options for my future. When I graduate, I anticipate to go into the welding field and would like to pursue underwater welding. I’d also like to work part-time in a salon as a cosmetologist.






Name: Lauren Robison
Grade: 11
Shop: Vet Assistant
Home School: Mohawk

Since the post secondary schools came to LCCTC, I learned what opportunities there are and what colleges I could potentially attend. I also learned that many students change their majors in their first year at college. After graduation, I’m planning on going for my vet assistant certification.






Name: Brandon Bright
Grade: 10
Shop: HA
Home School: Mohawk

I enjoyed hearing the speakers talk about the field I am interested in. It was neat to hear about the opportunities for employment in the area. Our speaker from the UPMC Jameson School of Nursing explained all of the tasks nurses do to impact someone else’s life. Another session I enjoyed was the EMS speaker. I especially enjoyed learning about becoming an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). I was intrigued while learning the different situations that occur on an ambulance. I learned about different degrees that I could earn and how long it takes to complete a nursing program. After I graduate, I anticipate to attend BC3 for their RN program. Then, I hope to work in an emergency room with trauma patients. I would also like to look into becoming a flight transport nurse and attend live accidents.





Name: Kyle Michels
Grade: 11
Shop: Machine Tool Tech
Home School: Ellwood

From listening to the speakers who made their appearance at LCCTC, I had the chance to learn about different branches of the military. It opened my eyes to the many experiences I can encounter. After graduation, I intend on joining the Navy or Airforce.





Name: Wyatt Butler
Grade: 11
Shop: Welding
Home School: Lincoln Park High School

From this experience, I enjoyed listening and hearing about the opportunities that I can endure after graduation. I also enjoyed that the speakers informed us about school and life after graduation. I intend to take my steamfitters test and starting a five year apprenticeship upon graduation.





Name: Kelli Heeter
Grade: 10
Shop: Cosmetology
Home School: Mohawk

I particularly enjoyed this experience because it gave me information on different choices of schools after graduation. I also learned about the New Castle School of Trades, a potential selection upon graduating. After graduation, I plan to attend a trade school.





Name: Steve Akins
Grade: 10
Shop: Electrical Occupations
Home School: Laurel

I enjoyed the opportunity to listen to speakers talk about different college opportunities. I had the chance to learn about many schools and their programs. After graduation, I plan to go to the Ellwood City Forge to work as a maintenance electrician




Name: Kyleigh Johnson
Grade: 12
Shop: Vet Assistant
Home School: New Castle

I enjoyed the speakers that came to LCCTC because I had the chance to become informed about schools like the New Castle School of Trades. I learned about different trades and careers that I could pursue. After graduation, I plan on attending the Veterinarian Technical Institute for vet technician.






Name: Devin Dittmer
Grade: 11
Shop: Auto Tech
Home School: Laurel

I enjoyed this experience because it gave me a bigger outlook, and showed me the opportunities for colleges. I learned about the different programs I could attend at many different colleges. After graduating, I intend to become an automotive technician






Name: Makenna Braniff
Grade:12
Shop: COT
Home School: Neshannock

Having the chance to listen to a speaker about colleges and trade schools gave me the opportunity to learn more about colleges. It helped me think about my future. I learned that the Art Institute of Pittsburgh is more than it seems to be. Although I had intentions of attending Pittsburgh Technical College in the fall, this has given me a new outlook on other schools.






Name: Devin Dilling
Grade: 11
Shop: Welding
Home: School: Mohawk

I enjoyed this experience because it expanded my horizons and made me think about what I want to do after high school. I learned a lot from the speakers, including how New Castle School of Trades is adding more time to their welding classes. I also learned that I can now take night classes while attending the school. Lastly, I learned that the Navy is more complicated than I first imagined, and deployment is only a 6 month interval. After graduation, I am considering going into the Steamfitters 6 year program.





Name: Jaden Locke
Grade: 11
Shop:COT
Home School: Ellwood

I enjoyed the experience of having speakers come to LCCTC because it gave me the opportunity to learn more about the post secondary school I would like to attend. I learned that the Pittsburgh Technical College has many benefits, including how close to home it’s located! After graduation, I plan to study and pursue a career in video production





Name: Danielle McKinstry
Grade: 10
Shop: Health Assistant
Home School: Mohawk

The speakers that came to our school taught me many things about the many schools in the area. I learned about the hundreds of programs that schools have to offer. After graduation, I want to become a physical therapist, or pursue a career in nursing.





Name: Jacob Vogel
Grade: 12
Shop: Construction Trades
Home School: Wilmington

I enjoyed visiting the guest speakers that came to our school because I got to learn about the different opportunities that I can experience outside of high school. I learned information on a potential school I could attend, the New Castle School of Trades. After graduation, I plan to go into the Carpenter’s Union.