Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Aiming for State Competition: Eagle Archers return to State College to Compete ~ Maggie Richards and Jullian Vogan


“We’re going to states!”

This was exciting news dashing through hallway on the day archery coaches Mr. Simon and Ms. Kolo called the team to the gym. Once again, for the third year in a row, excitement brewed throughout the school -- The Eagle Archers qualified for state competition. 


On March 9th, the archery team traveled to the main campus in the center of Pennsylvania in a small city called State College. There, they competed against the top 15 teams across the state; in all, there were 40 teams were vying for a state bid. 

The members of the Archery team were:  Alexandria Radwanski, Austin Cambell, Caleb Grimm, Calvin Lample, Christian Seineker, Cody Gabauer, Dane Simpkins, Dylan Janiel, Haleigh Hawk, Hallie Joyce, Jackson Hawkins, Jason Ealy, Kyana Lambright, Kyle Micheals, Mike Kovakoski, Noah Skelly, Trent Yale, Tyler Donofrio, Waddell Vogel, and Wes Davies.
Several of the members are seniors or in their second year on the Archery Team. “I’m very proud of them,” Mr. Simon. He is particularly proud of his three top-scoring shooters, Alex Radwanski, Austin Campbell and Wesley Davis.

Most of the students from the Archery Team admitted that they enjoy doing archery because they claim that it’s relaxing.

Dane Simpkins, a Sophomore here at LCCTC, is in the Oil and Gas shop. He has been shooting archery for a few years now. He started with the bow because he hunts. He was talked into joining the Archery team. With a top score is 143, Dane states, “I need to improve on some of my skills such as focus on the target and to not be nervous while shooting my bow.”

Hallie Joyce, a senior in Cosmetology, states, “It is my last year of highschool and I have nothing to lose. I mind as well try something new.” She has not been shooting for very long but was very excited to see what she could do with her new skill.

Calvin Lample is a Junior in Masonry and a first year member of the team. He started archery because he hunts. “I don’t really think when I shoot; it’s a relief. The only thing I think about is hitting the bullseye,” he told us. His highest shooting score is 278/300. Mr. Simon wanted Calvin on the team. If he’s not on co-op next year, Calvin is planning on joining the team again.

Wesley Davis, a Junior in Collision Repair, is his own critic. He feels if he shoots any lower than a 9, it is not good enough for him. “I didn’t do good enough for me. I might have for the team, but I’m disappointed in how I did because I know I can do better.” We disagree; his score, an impressive 3rd place on the team, is amazing, considering that this was pretty much his second time ever shooting a bow for a competition. Wesley needs to find his own ‘groove’ and if he can’t find it, he goes until he is comfortable. He is planning on rejoining the Archery Team in his senior year.

Austin Campbell is a Junior in Construction. Austin has been on the Archery Team for the past two years and plans on being on the team for his senior year. He decided to join the team “because it looked like fun.” Whenever he shoots, “It’s as if I get tunnel vision; it’s just me, the bow, and the target. My whole body tenses into one position all in one line. I tell myself, ‘Breathe in. Breathe out. Release.’ If I don't hit the bullseye the first time, I start again, adjusting for the sweet spot.”

Excited to return to competition, Alex Radwanski is a Senior in Veterinary Assistant. Though in her last year of competition at LCCTC, she has been shooting for ten years, and she plans to continue. She is proud to announce that she beat her own score with a personal best of 278/300 during states; with scores like that, she was instrumental in helping her team make a proud showing at state competition. Mr. Simon describes her as: “The best shooter on the team.”

Great job Eagle Archers!