Saturday, August 26, 2017

Why We Love Our School ~ by Felicity Weir

“Tell me and I’ll forget. Show me and I may remember.
Involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin


Every student learns differently. Where one person may be more inclined to learn through a book, another student may need to be taught in a more hands-on manner. For example, Aliya Graham states “I love LCCTC for the hands-on approach and for how much the teachers care to help the students with their education.” Aliya is not the only student who feels this way about our beloved school. For many, it is not as easy as just simply reading something or listening. Most vocational students come here for a more hands-on experience.  Our teachers really work hard to reach every students’ needs. LCCTC Senior, Maggie Richards agrees as she says “ All of my teachers have really taken the time to work with me.”  Some days, class may consist of a worksheet, reading aloud together, or a discussion/debate; other days, students may participate in a fun educational game. Most of the time, we aren't even aware that we're learning because we just enjoy being in school.  Lawrence County CTC offers a broad spectrum of teaching and learning strategies.


What is unique about a career and technical center like ours is that it not only focuses on an academic education; students also learn a trade. Jeremy Streckeisen says he loves how “our school gives us the ability to be hired even before our senior year of school is over.” Shops like Cosmetology, Health Assistance, and Computer and Office Technology graduate with several certifications that aide them in obtaining a job in their desired field. Whereas shops like Welding,Oil and Gas, and Electrical can go straight into the workforce or even into the union with the knowledge and experience obtained through LCCTC. However, some students plan to carry on their education past high school. Like many other shops, vet-tech students obtain a wide variety of knowledge that will help them be a step ahead if they decide to further their education; conversely, if students choose not to go to college, they may have higher chances of landing a job as a groomer or assisting in a veterinary office.


Every student has a different reason for enrolling in our school. Kaylyn Durham’s says her  reasoning for coming to LCCTC is that “it allowed me to further my education in cooking. My great grandmother taught me how to cook when I was really young. We used to cook all the time  for dinners and holidays. I want to thank my shop teacher Jennifer Price; having her as a teacher is a pleasure. I cannot wait to finish out my senior year at LCCTC!” Some students enroll because they need a fresh start, desire a new form of learning, or want to be a step ahead in their career. LCCTC fulfills all of those needs.


Although vocational schools are not for everyone, attending one is such a unique experience. LCCTC has been changing lives of students for over 50 years. Each individual has made the choice to become a part of our school, and in saying that, every student has made the choice to stay for a reason. Because this school has become a part of so many of us, we will live the lessons taught here at LCCTC.