Tuesday, February 14, 2017

SkillsUSA Districts - Damian Quimby

What is SkillsUSA? Many people have never heard of it and wonder what it's about. SkillsUSA is a club where many students from vocational schools all over the nation can compete. 

The values represented in SkillsUSA include patriotism, the industrial society, knowledge and skill, technology, and the respect for the dignity of work.


The official website, skillsusa.org, says, "SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers, and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce and is programmed to equip students to excel."  This is true for our students here at LCCTC.


The first step in competition is districts: For District 10, LCCTC students compete against thirteen other vocational schools, and if our students place first in their competition, they move onto States. Within our school alone, there were 63 students who went to districts, the highest number of students out of all the other schools.  Congratulations to our medalists:  



  • Linzy Miller, VTSilverAction Skills
    Trevor Cunningham
    April Boots
    Lane Kline
    BronzeAutomated Manufacturing Technology
    Jason EalyBronzeAutomotive Service Technology
    Samara GrimesGoldBasic Health Care
    Dawson FairGoldCNC Technician
    Kaden FernandezBronzeCNC Lathe
    Bri BurginBronzeCosmetology
    Mike BirkbichlerSilverElectrial Construction Wiring
    Taylor DillingGoldEmployment Application Process
    Alaina DeLucaBronzeEsthetics w/ model Alyssa Graham
    Shelby LeasureSilverFirst Aid/CPR
    Mollie RaderBronzeFirst Aid/CPR
    Gemma GattoBronzeHealth Occupations Professional
    Kyle RoxburySilverIndustrial Motor 
    Control
    Jaden LockeBronzeJob Skill Demonstration
    Dom FobesGoldMasonry
    Earl GravattSilverMedical Math
    Krista Berkley, Brandee D’Ambrosi, Tristyn Gravatt, Jenna Locke, Jake Troutman, Dayuna Ware, Felicity WeirGoldOpening & Closing Ceremonies
    Mackenzie Nye, Madison Ritter, Sierra Knight, and Tabatha ZangBronzeQuiz Bowl
    Damian QuimbySilverTechnical Computer Applications

Below are some quotes from some of our competitors:



  • Jacob Troutman - Opening and Closing:  "I enjoy competing because it helps me present myself in front of other people."
  • Felicity Weir - Opening and Closing:  "I joined skills because it gave me an opportunity to be a part of a team. It was also similar to the academic games I competed in at my home school. It has helped me build my confidence and social skills."
  • Jaden Locke - Job Skilled Demo Open:  "I joined skills because I think it can help me further my education relating to my shop."
  • Krista Berkley - Opening and Closing:  "I joined skills because I wanted to be a part of a team. Opening and Closing and Skills USA has helped me to open up and be more confident in my everyday life."
  • Tabatha Zang - Health Knowledge Bowl:  "Skills is a great experience.  I am learning a lot about how to become a better student and a better worker.  Just from going through the competition, I have learned that preparation is key.  Confidence is also important; I am becoming more important."
  • Tristyn Gravatt - Opening and Closing:  "I joined Skills for the opportunity to compete in something new."
  • Dayuna Reitnauer - Opening and Closing:  "I didn't really know about Skills until Mrs. McVicker asked me to join. It is such an honor to be in Skills, especially with my friends that I met this year!"
  • Brandee D'Ambrosi - Opening and Closing:  "I joined Skills because when I came to Votech, I didn't really have a place to fit in. I knew that I wanted to join a team, so I joined Skills USA. Skills has helped me in a number of different ways, but most importantly, it has shown me that having friends and being a part of something is not a bad experience."
  • Christian "Pretty Boy" Seinkner - Service Specialization:  "Skills helped my realize that I am capable of winning, but only if I study hard enough."
District competition had 3 different locations: New Castle School of Trades, Butler County Career and Technical Center, and Lawrence County Career and Technical Center. 

This year, at the New Castle School of Trades, our Opening and Closing Team helped start off the event as they merged with a team from another school to present the meanings of the symbols for SkillsUSA. Then when the team is done, everyone went on to their competitions.


Of all of the LCCTC competitors, 33 earned medals.   Eleven gold medalists will continue on to states.  Congratulations!  They are as follows:  

  • Krista, Berkley,  Opening and Closing Team, Cos
  • Brandee D'Ambrosi, Opening and Closing Team, HA
  • Taylor Dilling, Job Interview, Weld
  • Dawson Fair, CNC Machine, MTT
  • Dom Fobes, Masonry, Mas
  • Trystan Gravatt, Opening and Closing Team, CA
  • Samara Grimes, Basic Health Care Skills, HA
  • Jenna Locke,  Opening and Closing Team, CA
  • Jacob Troutman,  Opening and Closing Team, COT
  • Dayuna Ware, Opening and Closing Team, HA
  • Felicity Merlini,  Opening and Closing Team, HA
On April 19-21, LCCTC will take a total of 23 students to state competition; those not continuing as gold medalists will compete in straight to state events like the following: Chapter Display Team (Trevor Cunningham -- MTT, Stormy Fiello and Noah Skelley -- EO), and Promotional Bulletin Board Team (Gemma Gatto -- HA, Jaden Locke -- COT, and Tabatha Zang -- VT), Mechatronics (Kyle Rocksbury & Mike Birkbickler -- EO), Welding Sculpture (Devin Dilling -- Weld), and Chapter Cake Display (Ben Schwartz -- RT).  To assist with the voting process for state officers, delegates (Brianna Burgin -- CA and Machaela Nail -- HA) will also attend, as well.   
Maddy and Alyssa -- enjoying time after competition!


Relaxing after competition -- Lunch!
Earl, Matt, Mrs. McVicker-Shaffer, Maddy, Mrs. Daughterty, Mollie, and Dayuna
Bri works on her mannequin to demonstrate her skill!



Smiles all around for Alaina and and her model, Alyssa


Model Amanda and  Halle works on her nail design.

Mark demonstrates his skill as a server.


Team Works is focused and ready to show what they know as they construct a bathroom.
Austin, Carter, Noah, and James


The Opening and Closing team:  Going for their 5th district gold!
Felicity, Jenna, Krista, Jake, Tristyn, Dayuna, and Brandee


Jaden ready to pitch her product to the "shark tank."